# Both sides G and J
Special thanks to Mirabai Knight (opens new window) for funding this lesson.
This lesson covers how you write the G and J sounds in steno, such as those found in "gift", "ground", "George", and "gif".
# Left side G
The hard G sound is formed on the left hand with
# Right side G as -ing
You've learned words that end with
PWAPBG for "bang" and
TKOG for "dog". Another very common usage in the Plover dictionary is
-G as "-ing". You can add
-G to many words to give them the "-ing" suffix, just like you do with
-D for "-ed" and
-Z for "-s".
Note that this "folded-in" suffix is even allowed to break steno order if there is no conflict.
# Left side J
The left side J and soft G sounds are formed on the left hand with
# Right side J
The Right side J and soft G sounds are formed on the right hand with
On some hardware, pressing this many keys might be difficult. Make sure you aren't trying to just use your fingers, your forearms should be the main source of power. Better steno hardware will also require less force.
|TKAOG||doing||TKOG is "dog" but "doing" is a very common word so we use this brief|
# 1. Translate
Write the English sentence represented by these outlines, including punctuation.
# 2. Find outlines
Find steno outlines that will write these English sentences, including punctuation.
- What are you doing?
- Hello again friend, I hope you have had an interesting day.
- Do not hold a grudge against Jill if you can help it.
- Judges are not able to put me in jail, ha-ha!
- What an interesting beginning to the novel.
- I am going to the market tonight, will you join me?
- Jay left town the other day and has not come back.
- Jeff is leaving town tonight and I want to say goodbye.
- George would never tell you his age.
- Goodnight my love.
- There are several love languages.
- Goodbye old friend, we will miss you.
- I earn lots of interest every month.
- I am going to the gym to get gains. I go almost every day.
- Do not judge the gorge by how far down it goes, it is dangerous.
- When technology knows language as well as we do, we are in danger.
- Do you say gif similar to girl or jar?